Friday, August 15, 2008

The Vegie Patch



I am very excited as some of our crop is close to picking. We are talking of soon making the second - twice the size vegie patch at the front so we can have it ready to put organic seeds in for spring/summer crops. I think I should challenge the boys to make a scare crow. I am hoping this time round we can grow from organic seeds. I have all the seedling pots/ warm house stuff to do so. We have been purchasing food from The Organic Shop for a while now and I am hoping we can substitute our own organic vegetables to help the dollar go further and we can start buying organic/free range meat.

Wonder if I can talk Hubby into making a mini glass/plastic house to sit over part of the patch so I can try to grow the warmer crops like egg plant and capsicum which don't like the cooler Tasmanian weather. This will mean I will want to build a bigger patch! Wonder where we can fit these in our very small land. We live in a suburb very close to the city. We made this choice so we all live a more active lifestyle (we can walk to school and shops from here) but also Michael is in the middle of the 'spiderweb' for work.

You may be wondering why milk cartons are in the patch. Well they are 'housing' celery. They encourage celery to grow up right so you get long stalks and a cluster rather than spread out little celery bits. We all enjoy crunching on fresh celery (with humous yum yum). Hope the crop spreads it growing time so we don't go anti celery! In this patch is silverbeet (soon to start picking), celery, leeks (SLOW growing), beetroot, carrots, cauliflower (no babies yet), broccoli (soon to start picking) and Brussels sprouts (no babies showing - these are yummy young and fresh). Wonder what seeds will be at the shop to grow this summer.

3 comments:

Kris said...

A scarecrow is a fantastic idea! I borrowed a book from the library all about using scarecrows as sculpture (as well as scaring birds!) in the garden. One day when I finally get my vegie patch going I definitely want a scarecrow! (Any minute now!)

Unknown said...

mrtzgI´m a little bit envious about your vegie patch! We had a small one some years ago, but had no time to take care of it... This year we have three plants in pots, cucumber, tomatoes and pepper. Exciting to see how they grow...

Melinda said...

Your vegie patch is quite amazing. I like the tip about the celery :)