Friday, September 26, 2008

Make your own pin heads tutorial

Thank you to Jo from Jo in Tas who helped me with this...

You will need:
x1 piece of clear shrinky (plastic that shrinks with heat
Sandpaper
Black pen
Piece of paper
Coloued pencils
Pins
Heat gun (or use an oven or a toaster)
Sealant



Print or draw out your pin head design on the paper. This one is at least 1.5 inches wide. Sand your shrinky so it is scratched in all directions on one side. Place the scratched shrinky over the design and re-draw the image on the scratched side.



Then colour in the image using good colouring pencils. Colour on the sanded side.



Cut out the image and stick a needle through the image so the scratched side is facing down.



Then heat the image with a heat gun. They will shrink lots - down by 3/4 at least. Try to heat evenly both sides. It will - if heated long enough - flatten itself. If you dont have a heat gun you can have the toaster on and heat your shrinky over it. Another method is to stick it in a very warm oven. What ever method you use - careful not to burn your fingers - using tweezers/plyers to hold needle might help.



Ta da! Pin to your pin cushion. If they are just going to be display then you are finished - if you wish to use them on fabric you will need to seal the scratched/coloured side to stop any of the colour rubbing in to the fabric.



We also made one side ways - but you then dont get much needle to use despite the purpose to do this!



Then Jo got playing - I think these are so cute!

12 comments:

Jo in TAS said...

Thanks for showing me how to do them, it was like going back to preschool!

Beth said...

Such a cute idea!! I love the one with the bees!

chook said...

oh wow so cool thank you
hugs Beth

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
image clipping

Unknown said...

Today I have to buy that shrinky! I must take time and make some this weekend. They are so cute and I have so many ideas...

Kris said...

I love them too! But shrinky? Where do you get that from? Am I the only one who doesn't know? I feel like I am missing out!!!

Victoria said...

Oh gosh I LOVE the bees, that's super cool - will I do it, I think you're too clever for me, but I love the bees.

Joy said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial!!!Oh these are just too cute!!! I'm with Kris though ... where do you get "shrinky"???

Cathy said...

Oh, those bees are so cute!! What a great idea! Cathyx

Liesl said...

They look fabulous. What a clever idea!

Willow Grove - Kez said...

They look wonderful. I know my girls would love to have a go at them. Thanks or sharing.

Leanne said...

Oh I forgot ...thanks for the great tutorial...love the little bees.